First Week of May 1871-2001
140 Years Ago (1871): Shall we have a Seminary boarding house? This is a question that has been for a long
time agitated in Evansville and vicinity, and the probability is that most have been led to feel that there should be a
large boarding house in connection with the present building.
130 Years Ago (1881): H. L. Smith, one of the earliest merchants of Union village, died on the 19th ult at
Jacksonville, Ill. where he had been living for the past few years. When he left Union, he went into business in
Janesville, and afterwards engaged in the Clow reaper works, which proving a failure, lost nearly all of his property,
and died—without taking much of this world’s goods with him.
120 Years Ago (1891): The German Evangelical Methodist conference which met in Monroe April 23d returned
Rev. Julius Kahl to the Evansville mission. This is the third year of Mr. Kahl and probably the last one, as the
German church holds to the three years term yet. Mr. Kahl is well liked by his people; he is a hard working and an
exceedingly industrious man.
110 Years Ago (1901): The program for the celebration of the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Congregational church
has been carried out with great joy and profit than the most hopeful friend could have expected. Miss Cornelia
Taggart, who joined the church in ’55 gave a beautiful characterization of the five charter members.
100 Years Ago (1911): Ray G. George and Miss Emma Partch of the town of Union were married at the
Congregational parsonage Saturday, April 29, 1911, by Rev. D. Q. Grabill. They were accompanied only by the
groom’s brother and sister.
90 Years Ago (1921): The case of the Northwestern Railroad Co. against this city in the matter of securing an
injunction against this city to restrain them from erecting a dam and letting the waters of Allen’s Creek once more
form Lake Leota, as it was before the dam was allowed to go out several years ago, will come up before Judge
Grimm’s court at Janesville, tomorrow afternoon at two o’clock.
80 Years Ago (1931): Wilva Woodworth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wade Woodworth, a freshman in high school
has been chosen by Prom King Mark Miller as queen of the 1931 prom. The committees which have been working
under the direction of Miss Adena Haberkorn, junior class advisor have been named as follows: Music, Donald
Wissbaum and Kenneth George; entertainment, Kenneth Ellis, Rodney Durner, Horace Franklin, and Leona Norby;
invitations and program, Marion Long; and refreshments, Allan Croake, Alice Finnane, Nora Dalton, Alice Reese,
and Lowell Thompson.
70 Years Ago (1941): Children from Brown, Magnolia Corners and Wilder Schools are registered to sing in the
annual Radio Music Festival to be broadcast over the state-stations WHA and WLBL and the National net. The
Festival is the culmination of Professor E. B. Gordon’s “Journey’s in Music Land” radio singing lessons on the
Wisconsin School of the Air.
60 Years Ago (1951): The piano and voice pupils of Mrs. C. W. Hazlett will present a recital in the Methodist
church on Sunday afternoon May 6 at 2. Those taking part will be June Heffel, John Willoughby, Elizabeth
Wickersham, Nancy Patterson, Carol Ann Holm, Sue Jones, Carmen Shelby, Betty Lamb, Betty Meehan, Nadene
Apfel, Sandra Martin, Carol Ann Richmond, Kathryn Larson, Ila Hendriksen, Jean Templeton, Karen Rowley,
Rachelle Rowley, Beatrice Patchin, Dawn Feldt, Lenore Perkins, Margaret Saunders, Kathryn Doyle, and Mary
50 Years Ago (1961): Little Slugger Leaders, Bill May, Bud Allen and Vic Fuchs attended the School Board
meeting Monday night with Bill Schuster to appeal for another ball diamond to accommodate the expended league
this year. The board voted to create two new diamonds at the new grade school.
40 Years Ago (1971): The building on West Main Street formerly known as the Rex theater is presently
undergoing a remodeling and repair job. The front has been completely removed and a new front will be put on.
The building is now owned by James Brantner, Robert Helgesen and Robert Petterson. The building was formerly
the Reckord Garage. In 1932, the late Ray Hyne owned the building and remodeled it for a movie theater. Mr.and
Mrs. Hallam operated it for a year after which the late Ward Nordquist took it over and operated it until his death in
1948. Mrs. Nordquist continued its operation until 1958. It continued as a theater for a few years after Mrs.
Nordquist retired. In 1941 an addition was made to the rear of the theater.
30 Years Ago (1981): A group of 12 Evansville Middle School students, 9 Parkview High School students, four
chaperones and a school bus driver escaped serious injury Monday afternoon, when the school bus in which they
were riding slid on gravel on Hy. 44 northeast of Pardeeville. According to Ann Spooner, driver of the school bus
owned by Ringhands of Evansville, she was making a sharp right hand banked curve when the rear end slid on the
gravel and the soft shoulder pulled the right rear around. In righting the bus it went across the road and stopped
in the gully on the opposite side. Rain had been falling steadily for two days, possibly making the gravel and
shoulders very soft. Everyone was taken to the Portage Hospital for examination and released. Supt. George
Knuckles dispatched another bus to take everyone back to Evansville. Cliff Ringhand was the driver of the bus.
Mrs. Spooner stated that the students were wonderful.
20 Years Ago (1991): Scott Meister of Evansville is one of several students whose art work is being displayed in
the 1991 University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse All-Student Art Show. Meister is a senior majoring in computer science
10 years ago (2001): There will be a total of 20 buildings, 50 units including duplexes that are included in the
Prairie Crossing housing units located to the south of town on Hy. 213. The one and two bedroom units are
scheduled to open June 1st. Each unit has outside common areas that will not require tenants to maintain them.
Second Week of May 1871-2001
140 Years Ago (1871): Married. At the residence of the bride’s father, May 1st, 1871, by the Rev. E. Robinson,
Mr. D. W. Twitchell, of West Union, Iowa and Miss Lottie A. Robinson, of Evansville.
130 Years Ago (1881): The ticket elected as shown below is emphatically temperance and no-license, and every
temperance man in the place feels proud of its success: President of the Board & County Supervisor, A. S. Baker;
Trustees, W. S. Smith, K. F. Randolph, James Powles, William Stevens, William H. Johnson, D. S. Hawley;
Treasurer, Almeron Eager; Clerk, Charles H. Spencer; Marshal & Constable & Justice, William F. Williams; Police
Justice & County Supervisor, David L. Mills;
120 Years Ago (1891): Married. May 6, 1891, Mr. Fred Franklin, a clerk in the Grange store and Miss Marry
110 Years Ago (1901): Died. May 3rd, Hattie, the beloved daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Clark, of typhoid
pneumonia, at the age of twelve years. Hattie was a bright, promising girl always willing to help others. She had
many friends who deeply sympathize with the family in their bereavement.
100 Years Ago (1911): The work of installing the city sewers is going nicely. The ditch is opened as far as Liberty
on Madison street, from Water street, and the sewer is in to within half a block of the above point. It is suggested
that those contemplating connection with the sewer confer with Mr. Nelson who will run the connecting line from the
sewer to the curb while the digging is in progress.
90 Years Ago (1921): Dr. Spencer, of Brooklyn, this week made quite an interesting gift to the museum of this city
in a large business ledger, dating back to 1856, kept by his uncle, John Rhinehart, who at that time was in the
general merchandise business in Evansville. [Note: this ledger can be viewed online at this web address: http:
It was digitized as part of the Evansville Digitization Project sponsored by a Library Services and Technology Act
grant to the Arrowhead Library System in 2009. The original is in the collection of the Eager Free Public Library
80 Years Ago (1931): Running the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds on a wet track, Stanley “Pop” Sperry, son of
Mr. and Mrs. Fred Sperry, proved to be the class of speedsters at the second annual Whitewater State Teachers’
college district track meet held there Saturday. Sperry will most likely compete in the state track meet. He is a
football quarterback, third baseman in baseball, and captain of the 1931 basketball team. The young athlete is
also a member of the newly organized high school golf team.
70 Years Ago (1941): Mr. Al Lenning of Janesville has purchased the A. & W. Root Beer stand from Arthur S.
Peterson. This stand is located on Union Street at the corner of North Madison, just as you arrive at the north end
of the viaduct. Mr. Peterson has operated this stand for the past two years, and due to the fact that the army has
asked for his services, it has been necessary for him to dispose of the property.
60 Years Ago (1951): Councilman William Brown has been suspended from duty with the fire department by
action taken this week by the city’s fire and police committee. The action followed charges made at last week’s
council meeting by Asst. Fire Chief Leslie Giles that Brown was “riding” him, and that there was a policy dispute
over the handling of silent alarms. The matter of silent alarms which is causing much of the disagreement is one
which has perplexed a number of small city fire departments. These alarms are for very small fires, on which the
siren is not sounded, nor the whole fire department called out. The thinking of Councilman Brown and others is
that in the interests of protecting the city, there should be no silent alarms and the fire department should be called
out any time a fire is reported.
50 Years Ago (1961): The possibility of objecting to state plans for relocating Highway 14 was discussed by the
City Council last night. Under state plans, the highway would follow the old Territorial Road about two miles east of
Evansville, by-passing the city. During discussion council members appeared to be divided on protesting the
relocation. Presently the highway curves through the northeast edge of Evansville.
40 Years Ago (1971): Five Evansville women attended the Wisconsin Alumni Association’s annual Spring Women’
s Day, Mrs. William Brunsell, Mrs. Robert Erstad, Mrs. Claire Ehle, Aneta Capron and Mrs. Jack W. Heffel. The
women attended lectures and demonstrations on health care, rheology, ecology, and audio research.
30 Years Ago (1981): At a public hearing held Monday night at the city hall, the Planning Commission granted
approval for the recently annexed property of Daniel L. Weaver to be zoned as R1 from RR 1 in permanent city
zoning as part of the First Ward. They also granted a conditional use permit to the Amoco Fertilizer Plant at 150
Union Street. Milbrant Welding was rezoned from R1 and R2 and is now part of the second ward. Shirley Christian
has plans to purchase the Party Port in Evansville, contingent upon opening a coffee shop. The Woodards, who
operate the Grainary, were granted permission to make living quarters of 20 x 24 feet on the ground floor of the
20 Years Ago (1991): Dr. Roland Jeans of the Evansville Veterinary Clinic visited the 1st hour English class of
Mrs. Pat Peters at Evansville High School to talk about the veterinary career and genetic diseases in dogs. The
class is reading “The Trouble With Tuck” by Theodore Taylor, in which a dog is going blind due to a genetic
disorder. Dr. Jeans brought books and medical instruments to show the class, and answered their questions about
pets and veterinary care.
10 years ago (2001): The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources recognized Thomas H. Kerkenbush for his
thirty years of teaching hunter education. Tom has been a volunteer instructor for the hunter education program
since Sept. 1, 1970. Through his years of volunteering, he has taught 715 students the basics of hunting, hunting
safety and hunting ethics. Kerkenbush was presented with a jewelry box by Boyd Richter, conservation warden.
Third Week of May 1871-2001
140 Years Ago (1871): The little pestiferous potato bug promises to be as destructive as ever. In setting out some
trees the other day, in our garden, we dug up some of the little fellows, fully fledged and ready for business soon
as the tubers should make their appearance.
130 Years Ago (1881): Cooksville: John Porter has been engaged as one of the salesmen in the Grange store at
Evansville. He is well qualified for the position.
120 Years Ago (1891): Memorial services will be held in the Methodist church Sunday May 24th at 3 o’clock p.m.
Address by Rev. Scholfield. A full attendance is desired. All Veterans and Sons of Veterans are requested to
meet with the Grand Army Men at their hall at 2:30 p.m. and march to the church.
110 Years Ago (1901): The Mayor Wilder, appointed R. M. Richmond, city Attorney, Ray Gillman, Chief of Fire
Department; H. W. Fellows, Fire Warden; A. J. Snashall, Building Inspector; Fred Gillman, Assistant Chief of Police;
C. G. Mihills, Special Police; G. L. Pullen, member of Library Board. All of these appointments were confirmed by
100 Years Ago (1911): The Rock County official census figures have been announced. Evansville has a
population of 2,061. Evansville’s population in 1900 was 1,864, a gain of 197 in ten years. Janesville’s population
is 13,894 and Beloit’s 15,125.
90 Years Ago (1921): The great interest taken by the people of this city in the Lake Leota matter was shown when
a large number of our most influential citizens motored to Janesville to be present at the meeting of the court which
was to consider the matter. However, the matter was not taken into court as both sides thought best to try and
settle the matter out of court, the railroad contending that conditions of railroad traffic, weight of engines and trains
has greatly increased during the years which have passed since the lake went out and they ask that the dam be
lowered two feet to bring their road bed within the zone of safety in case of high water. This may be met by the
attorney for the city agreeing to meet the company half way, setting the height of the dam at one foot lower than
the original petition asks for.
80 Years Ago (1931): A deal was closed this week whereby the county and state purchased and donated seven
acres of land north of Grove street to the city for a new drive and entrance to the tourist park. The land which is
between the A. T. Smith residence on North Madison street and the park was purchased from Dr. C. S. Ware. As a
part of the project of building a viaduct over the northwestern tracks for Highway 92, the county and state will build
a new gravel road from Grove street north to the park, a distance of approximately one-fourth mile. It will start at
the rear of the A. T. Smith property.
70 Years Ago (1941): John Golz was elected president of the Union Play day. Other officers and chairmen named
to take charge of the activities to be held here in the city park, Thursday, May 29 were: Lee Ringhand, vice
president; Helen Gransee, secretary and treasurer; Elmer Allen, games; Alvin Golz, softball; Marvin Devlin,
volleyball; Mrs. Earl Allen, stands; Miss Arlene Allen and Miss Madelene Bryan, scorekeepers; Miss Hazel Murphy,
beanbag throws; Harold Robinson, ball throws and jumping relays; Stanley Reese, horseshoes, and Orville Devlin,
relay races. The dinner committee will be comprised of women from the several school districts in Union township.
60 Years Ago (1951): Evansville music students participated in the state music tournament in Madison Saturday
and several came home with awards. In the first division were Shelley Thurman and Betty Lawry, piano duet in
class A; Joyce Stansell and Audre Wilson, piano duet, class B, and Merle Halbman, flute solo, class B. She was
accompanied by Mrs. John Wyse. In the second division, the triple trio won in class A. The group is comprised of
Eleanor Nimmo, Barbara Conroy, Marianne McKenna, Mary Jo Ferguson, Barbara Hatlen, Joyce Stansell, Vera
Butler, Donna Green and Kathleen Bell. Betty Lawry was the accompanist.
50 Years Ago (1961): Joseph M. Zoeller, Jr. has accepted the Evansville school superintendency made vacant by
Mr. J. C. McKenna’s retirement. The change becomes effective July 1. Mr. Zoeller is 33 years old. He and Mrs.
Zoeller are parents of three boys age ten and younger and a baby girl two years of age. The Zoellers met while
attending Lawrence College. Mr. Zoeller is leaving Brillion where he has been superintendent for two years.
40 Years Ago (1971): Rock County Extension Homemakers awarded a scholarship to Diane Drendel, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Drendel, Evansville. She is a student at Evansville High School and is a member of FHA and
30 Years Ago (1981): Thea Brunsell will receive a diploma in Religious Studies from Edgewood College in Madison
on Wednesday, May 13. The diploma prepares her for work as a Christian Educator. Mrs. Brunsell was confirmed
a Lutheran, is a member of United Church of Christ for 30 years, and is active in the church on the local, state and
national level. She received her diploma from a Catholic School, taught by nuns and a Rabbi, and is doing her
practicum at the First Baptist Church in Madison.
20 Years Ago (1991): Barb Pierce, secretary and co-chairperson and Lewis Farnsworth, co-chairperson of the
suicide Task Force received a check for $500 from Jane Youngman and Rev. Dan Wilson, Congregational United
Church of Christ. Mrs. Youngman, representing the church Mission Board, applied to the Mission Strategic
Commission of the Wisconsin Conference of UCC for funds. The money will be used for training Peer Helpers.
Rev. Wilson received training as a leader before coming to Evansville and now represents the Evansville Clergy.
10 years ago (2001): Evansville resident, Brian Cashore is making a comeback to Evansville as Associate
Principal at the high school, effective July 1. Cashore, who taught Phy Ed at J. C. McKenna Middle School from
1997-1999, has been serving as Associate Principal this past year at Pewaukee High School. He is a Milton High
School graduate. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from UW-Oshkosh and Masters degree from Marian
Fourth Week of May 1871-2001
140 Years Ago (1871): Bring flowers, bunches, bundles, garlands! The patriotic dead were living flowers, plucked,
alas from how many a weeping home. They gave life. Is it much for us to give the choicest blooms from roots
which will bloom yet again? Their blood bought for us a country. Ah, their blood. Shall we, can we forget it? By
their valor, their strength and their sacrifice, we have homes and freedom. Are flowers and tender tributes,
reverent procession and solemn recognition of their youthful graves, too, too much for the battles they fought, the
blood they spent, the deaths they died for us? Flowers, bring flowers, and let us crown our patriotic dead.
130 Years Ago (1881): Mr. Newman returned from his Dakota trip last week and reports many emigrants who
started when they supposed the roads were open, but who were snowbound and all their means exhausted before
their destination was reached, and many are in a destitute condition. More than one half of his own cattle died.
120 Years Ago (1891): Arthur Crandall fell from a freight train and was badly injured. He wandered about in a
dazed condition, and was found crawling about the track on his hands and knees in a semi-conscious condition by
a boy who told his father, and Crandall was taken home. For several days his mind was a blank.
110 Years Ago (1901): Three new residences on Garfield Ave. are being rushed right along. Mr. Robert
Hankinson has charge of the carpenter work on the one for Mr. Thomas Gleaves, Mr. Billings of Janesville, for the
one for Art Snashall, and Elmer Libby, the one for Will Smith. [Note: Thomas Gleaves house was at 110 Garfield;
Art Snashall’s at 35 Garfield and Will Smith’s at 21 Garfield.]
100 Years Ago (1911): The water department began the laying of a main on the alley, now Montgomery Court,
north of Main street and running from Madison to First street Saturday.
90 Years Ago (1921): Harry McKinney Post No. 35 will hold Memorial services at the Flag Pole in Maple Hill
cemetery in honor of all soldier dead. At the close of this service, the line of march will proceed to Magee’s Opera
House, where the public exercises will be held. There will be special Memorial Day services at the Baptist church
on Sunday evening. All Legion men, and all ex-service men are requested to appear at the club rooms in uniform
to march to the church behind the colors. E. L. Hatfield, Post Commander.
80 Years Ago (1931): George W. E. Perry, bigamist wanted for the murder of Mrs. Cora Belle Hackett, formerly
Miss Cora Belle Krumbholtz of Evansville, was under arrest in San Francisco Tuesday night. Mrs. Hackett was the
widow of the late Charles S. Pullen, Milwaukee banker, who was well known here. Her body was found in a clump
of bushes near Lac du Flambeau where Perry is supposed to have shot her July 6. Perry has only one legitimate
wife, Mrs. Mary Perry, Milwaukee, who has three children. Police assert there are at least five other wives, all
70 Years Ago (1941): Thirty-two boys and sixteen girls, comprising a class of forty-eight seniors will receive
diplomas at the annual graduation exercises. Five seniors receiving the highest grades in scholastic work are
Marion Hagen, Marion Steffen, Lee Shantz, Betty Groh and George Breckenridge. Second honors go to John
Antes, Ellen Robinson, Charlotte Brunsell, Frank Clark, Warren Sarow and Robert Norby.
60 Years Ago (1951): William Ehredt, King of the Evansville 1951 junior promenade and his chosen queen
Mildred Franklin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Franklin reigned at the Friday night, May 18th event. William is
the son of Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Ehredt. Committee worked on the prom arrangements were Steve Losey, Dan
Finnane, Bill Green, Jack Miller, Kenton Clark, Ronald Petterson, Barbara Hatlen, Jean Golz, Patricia Ehredt, and
Shelley Thurman, decorations; Joan Reinsbach, Susan Trickel, Pat Cook, Charlotte Steindl, Tom Rivers and Larry
Main, publicity; Diane Valentine and Mildred Franklin, tickets and Kathleen Bell and Phyllis Gilbert, coat check.
50 Years Ago (1961): Leota park store has been leased to Lee Ringhand for the summer for the sum of $180.
Mr. Ringhand to pay for his own utilities.
40 Years Ago (1971): The City Council appointed a new Third Ward alderman and approved the appointment of a
new municipal justice. William Kober, an Evansville High School teacher, was appointed by the Council to replace
Third Ward Ald. Francis Erbs who is moving out of the ward. Mayor Ida Conroy appointed Glenn Gissing, who runs
a transportation service, as municipal justice.
30 Years Ago (1981): The circus train came through Evansville Tuesday morning before a crowd of several
hundred situated along the tracks in the park and the Main Street railroad crossing. Most of those present at the
crossing were school children brought down to see a circus train for the first time. The train traveled along the
Chicago and North Western track from the Circus World Museum in Baraboo to a circus parade in Chicago this
20 Years Ago (1991): Evansville’s Water and Light Department is hoping to be in a new facility by December of
1991. At the May 14, meeting, city council members approved $145,000 for the purchase of the B & M trucking
building located on Hy. Old 92, just west of S. Madison Street. The building sits on three acres of land. The utility
will purchase the property from Mrs. Bernadine Burnham.
10 years ago (2001): Stoughton Trailers sent layoff notices on May 24 to employees and affective municipalities
that they would have massive layoffs at its manufacturing plants in Evansville, Stoughton and Brodhead, no sooner
than July 30. Employees had been temporarily laid off in February, and later recalled to work. The layoff could
affect 1,105 employees at the three plants, 243 from the Evansville facility. There are 300 to 400 people at the
Evansville plant. The Evansville City Council recently approved amending a Tax Incremental Financing (TIF)
district for the company’s planned expansion and upgrading of the Evansville plant.
Fifth Week of May 1871-2001
140 Years Ago (1871): Mr. S. D. Mann, a former student of the Seminary here, and citizen of Porter, and who for
some eight years past has been a professor of Penmanship and Mathematics in the public schools of London,
Canada, is stopping with his father Mr. Ezra Mann. We acknowledge a call and welcome his return to his Alma
Mater hoping he may engage in business here suited to his educational ability and satisfactory to his finances.
130 Years Ago (1881): Real Estate Transfers, Tuesday, May 25, 1881, W. H. VanHise to W. W. Gillies, 25 acres,
in section 10 of Union, $650. James Gillies to W. W. Gillies, 120 acres in section 1 and 12, of Union, $4,400.
120 Years Ago (1891): The Seminary closes Tuesday. Commencement will be held in the Seminary park at 2:30
p.m. The Baccalaureate sermon will be preached the Sunday before Commencement. President Eaton, of Beloit
College will address the alumni following commencement. The following students will graduate this year, George V.
Ahara, Allie Burdick, Leo H. Campbell, Charles C. Clifford, Ella Clifford, Fred Hatfield; Thedia Munger, Anna
Overstreet, Fannie Robb, and Jessie B. Sale.
110 Years Ago (1901): Adolph Waegli, night baggageman, nearly escaped death last Tuesday evening while in
the act of passing some train orders to the engineer who was on the engine. He slipped and fell under the cars
from which he escaped with the toes of his left foot crushed and the muscles of his right hip badly sprained. He
was taken to Mr. M. Sayle’s home, his boarding place where Dr. Evans, Sr., the company physician, was called,
who thinks he will soon recover with the loss of the one toe next to the great toe upon his left foot, but now how he
escaped from his perilous position with so little injury will always remain a mystery.
100 Years Ago (1911): The Baker Mfg. Co. shipped the second 15 h. p. gasoline engine Tuesday they ever built.
It was sent to What Cheer, Iowa. These engines seem to meet a demand, and inquiries keep coming in concerning
90 Years Ago (1921): This year, the women of the community are doing the local work for the summer
Chautauqua. The Afternoon Club, with the backing of last year’s committee, has signed with the Mutual-Ewell
Chautauqua which will appear here June 14-18. The citizens must share the responsibility, at least to the extent of
purchasing an advance season ticket. There must be 500 boosters, those willing to take a two dollar season ticket
before the show begins. The general Committee is Mrs. W. E. Green, Mrs. Louis Spencer, and Miss Mina
Hubbard. Mrs. Jay Baldwin is president and Mrs. M. L. Paulson is secretary of the club.
80 Years Ago (1931): Memorial Day of 1931 finds the local G. A. R. post with a membership of only three. The T.
L. Sutphen post, No. 41, Grand Army of the Republic, was organized here Aug. 24, 1882. The first commander
was James R. West, with W. F. Williams, adjutant. There were 32 charter members, only two, Henry W. Hamilton,
this city, and A. C. Thorpe, now a member of the Janesville post, who are still alive. Mr. Hamilton is still an active
member of the post here. The post had a membership of 212, all of whom have answered the last roll call with the
exception of Mr. Hamilton, John Gardner Babcock, and Enos Baldridge, the last member to die being Christopher
Tomlin, who passed away Oct. 21, 1930, leaving only three active members.
70 Years Ago (1941): Mr. and Mrs. William Stauffacher, Monroe, have announced the engagement and
approaching marriage of their daughter, Miss Evelyn Stauffacher, to Donald Thompson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lester
L. Thompson, 216 West Main Street, this city. The marriage vows will be exchanged at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 22, in
St. John’s Evangelical church in Monroe.
60 Years Ago (1951): Evansville’s fine baseball team has just brought the third championship of the school year
to our high school. They team includes Manager Tony Pearsall, Dan Finnane, Jack Miller, Don Allen, Norman
Tomlin, Steve Losey, Peck Sperry, Pat Finnane, Zeke Deininger, Malcolm Hull, John Hazlett, Robert Petterson, Bert
Schenk, Don Guse, Randy Feldt, Rudy Hatlevig and Manager Dave Lovett.
50 Years Ago (1961): Evansville seniors receiving high honors for the four years in high school are Kay Kelly,
Mary Jo Polich, Janet Smith, Donna Haakenson and Jim Waeffler. Second high honor students are Berwyn
Cadman, Randall Decker, Joyce Bowen, John Reese, Marilyn Kauth, Dawn Feldt, Barbara Blair, Steven Crull,
Elaine Schneeberger and Karen Wolf.
40 Years Ago (1971): Lewis Farnsworth, Jr., proprietor of Star Printing on East Main Street, has purchased the
counters and inventory and sign of the former One East Main store. The merchandise has now been moved to E.
Main Street, next door to Star Printing at 103 E. Main St., and the store will be known as East Main Gifts. Mr.
Farnsworth states that the store will feature gift items and a specialty of ceramics. A kiln to make the ceramics has
already been installed behind the store.
30 Years Ago (1981): It’s almost clear sailing from the end of North Madison Street to Union road as every trace of
the viaduct is gone. Houses once in the shadow of the viaduct are now in the sunlight.
20 Years Ago (1991): Evansville school district residents will go to the polls September 12 to decide whether to
borrow $5.5 million for new school buildings and remodeling old ones. The board voted on Monday night of last
week at the regular school board meeting. The plan includes a new early childhood center with five classrooms; a
new gym to be shared by high school and elementary students; new high school classrooms, mostly for science
and math; remodeling of the high school library and computer lab; five new classrooms and a new library for the
middle school; remodel the middle school library into classrooms; renovate the middle school boiler room and
heating system and take down the old smokestack.
10 years ago (2001): The speaker at the Evansville Memorial Day ceremony at the cemetery was Dave Zweifel,
editor of the Capital times and native of Evansville. Dave Burrow, commander of the American Legion and past
commander of the VFW, was the master of ceremonies and Rev. Eric Nielsen, new pastor of St. Paul Catholic
Church gave the invocation and benediction.