First Week of July 1872-2002
140 Years Ago (1872): Mr. Hiram Bullard has sold his tobacco crop of 10,640 lbs, and realized the snug little
sum of $1,100. It was the product of five acres of ground. This year he has set six acres and intends on
having a big “cud” another season.
130 Years Ago (1882): About 3 o’clock yesterday morning the mill dam broke away and torrents of water came
pouring down, filling the channel of the creek and flooding the whole country. Mrs. Luce’s house floated off its
founding and landed to the rear of the lot. In the house were Mrs. Charles Luce, her two children and an infant
babe five months old and the elder Mrs. Luce, and Mrs. Page a visiting relative from Minnesota. Mrs. Luce
foreseeing the danger took her two children and left the house, but returning again to assist others was caught
in the flood. One or two men had reached the house before the flood became so deep and with their
assistance, ropes were thrown across the chasm and fastened to the women while men on the west side drew
them ashore. Frank Springer took the babe in his arms and with the help of the rope, plunged in. Himself and
the child were both buried in the water for several moments, but strong men drew them safely ashore.
120 Years Ago (1892): Hands have commenced moving the old village hall out of the way for the new one to
be built upon the same grounds, the old one would make a grand bowling alley for some stranger to run, don’t
suppose a citizen would be granted such a privilege.
110 Years Ago (1902): Mr. Eugene C. Smith, of this city was united in marriage to Miss Alice M. Stevens, at
the M. E. church, Bristol, Wis. on Thursday June 26, 1902. Ray L. Hankinson, of Evansville, acted as best man
and Miss Mary Stevens, a sister of the bride as maid of honor. Maude Gillies, Honor Stair, Mr. and Mrs. Edgar
Smith and daughter Ethelyn, and Mr. and Mrs. Ed Cadwalader, attended the wedding. The bride and groom,
after a short wedding trip will begin house keeping in the new residence just completed for them about two
miles north of this city.
100 Years Ago (1912): The Mother’s Club have decided to establish a children’s story hour to be held in the
library and the committee have secured the services of the following young ladies to conduct the hour: The
Misses Adelaide Evans, Kathleen Calkins, Ethel Frost, Amy Perry, Lola Acheson, Jennie Crow, Lulu Van
Patten, Alma Brunsell, Marion Purinton, Clara Richardson, Ruth Winston, Lelia Shreves, Beulah Day and
90 Years Ago (1922): Charles J. Pearsall was elected president of the school board at the annual meeting
Monday night, succeeding Edwin Cary; Floyd Ballard was named to succeed B. A. Meyers; Mrs. Charles M.
Smith to succeed Mrs. Fred W. Hansen; and Walter Green was elected clerk to succeed W. G. Patterson,
80 Years Ago (1932): Stanley “Pop” Sperry, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Sperry, who played third base for the
local high school nine during the last four seasons, was in Milwaukee Tuesday for a try-out with the Milwaukee
Brewers, an American Association club.
70 Years Ago (1942): A dream of the Wives and Mother’s club of the men in service is fast becoming a reality.
The club considered a possibility of erecting some memorial to the men in service in the Second World War.
This giant sign board has been erected by the Laufenberg Lumber company of this city. The sign was built at
their lumber yards and last weekend it was transported to the lawn of the city hall where it was erected. The
board has two large corner posts on top of each rests a cut-out of the American eagle. The board itself is
made from heavy ply builders board, reinforced with heavy timbers on the back to keep it from warping. Mrs.
Earl Gibbs, president of the Wives and Mothers club is doing the decorating of the board. She is being
assisted by Mrs. Victor Briggs whose husband is in the service.
60 Years Ago (1952): The Fall River Canning company began operations here the latter part of last week
packing the 1952 crop of peas for wholesale distribution. The company is employing more than 100 local men
and women and 60 natives of the Windward Islands who arrived here last week by plane.
50 Years Ago (1962): Rev. Eldon Riggs and family will be honored guests at a fellowship and coffee hour to
be held in the Methodist Church Sunday morning at 10:30 a.m. July 8, immediately following the morning
worship period. The Rev. and Mrs. Riggs came to Evansville recently to serve as pastor of the church.
General chairmen of the event are Mrs. Lloyd Amidon and Mrs. Kenneth Wood.
40 Years Ago (1972): Attorneys William H. Bewick and David J. Ross, both of Evansville, have announced the
formation of a partnership for the practice of law. The new firm will remain at 14 West Main Street in the city of
Evansville. Mr. Bewick has practiced law in Evansville for many years and was a longtime partner of Donald F.
Gallagher until Mr. Gallagher’s death in 1970. A native of Michigan, Mr. Ross graduated from the University of
Wisconsin Law School in 1967. Before becoming associated with Mr. Bewick in Evansville in May of 1971, Mr.
Ross practiced law in Madison and was later deputy director of Wisconsin Judicare.
30 Years Ago (1982): According to letters addressed to Baker Manufacturing stockholders and employees this
month, Baker Mfg. Co. of Evansville has taken two measures to help offset the reported losses of $100,000 per
month, during the first five months of their fiscal year. The company is initiating a temporary 10 percent
reduction of all salaries, wages, and director fees and also suspending the third quarter stockholder dividend.
This move ends an 86 year record of unbroken dividend payments. In the employee letter, signed by Frank
Sandner, Jr., president of the company, the cause of the action taken is due to the economic recession
prolonged by continuing record high interest rates, causing a serious drop in sales. Housing starts continue at
post war record lows, as do agricultural and industrial equipment sales.
20 Years Ago (1992): After 16 ½ years of preparing thousands of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and serving
people coffee and goodies, Dagmar Laclav is turning over the business of operating the Village Square
Restaurant to Julie Keller and Jack Dunham. Dagmar and her former husband, Vladimir Jurco, purchased the
Village Square in 1976 from Clara Hull.
10 years ago (2002): This past week, during a celebration of 15 years for Blue Cross/Blue Shield, area artist
Jim McGoey unveiled a most magnificent wall mural. Donning the wall of the Blue Cross/Blue Shield hallway
the painting depicts Evansville as she is and as she hopes to be. The work took McGoey over a year to do
and captures even the reflections of the community’s downtown store fronts. The event of the unveiling was
made a part of the 15 year anniversary celebration.
Second Week of July 1872-2002
140 Years Ago (1872): We were not aware until now that “Union Cheese Factory Association” could boast of
an existence. It was organized early the present season, with D. H. K. Whitcomb, president; B. B. Boynton,
secretary; I. M. Bennett, cashier of the First National bank, treasurer, and D. H. K. Whitcomb, manufacturer. At
the present, they are using 6,000 lbs of milk, and manufacturing 600 lbs. of cheese. The factory is about one
and a half miles North of Union village. The community is all intelligent and thrifty farmers, and by uniting in this
branch of husbandry, realize a handsome profit from their dairies, with comparatively little trouble.
130 Years Ago (1882): The following are a few who are entitled to honorable mention for assisting in rescuing
the Luce family: M. P. Walton, Arvin Potter, Oscar Kusterman, Ray Gillman and Frank Springer, who lost $30
in the water from his pocket and risked his life to save one of the small children. Attorney Chas. Ladd rescued
the other child. All of whom showed true courage in a time of need.
120 Years Ago (1892): Theodore Robinson, a former resident of Evansville won the “Shaw Prize” of $1,000 for
the finest painting at the recent exhibition of the Society of American Artists at New York, against 224
110 Years Ago (1902): Miss Maggie Gillies has been elected city librarian and is attending school in Madison,
preparing for the position.
100 Years Ago (1912): Four troops of cavalry and one platoon of machine guns arrived here about noon and
pitched their camp at the fair grounds. The troops comprised the third squadron of the 15th U. S. Cavalry.
The command consisted of 250 men and 10 officers. There were 250 horses and 58 mules. The troops were
on the way to Sparta, where they will engage for a month in the combined maneuvers of the regular army and
the national guards of Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, South and North Dakota and Wisconsin. They left Fort
Sheridan on the first of July. They were one day behind schedule in reaching Evansville because of extreme
heat and its effect upon the horses.
90 Years Ago (1922): Selecting sheep for foundation breeding to improve the livestock of Japan, the
Japanese government bought a carload of Shropshires from Waukesha and Rock counties. The Japanese
representative W. Nagasaki, Tokyo bought 91 head, five rams, and 86 ewes from George McKerrow,
Waukesha and from W. C. Miles and A. Broughton and sons, Evansville. The price paid is said to be $150 for
the rams and $45 for the ewes. The shipment of sheep was made from Evansville to the Pacific coast where
they will be loaded for the trip across the ocean.
80 Years Ago (1932): Because the office has been operated at a loss, the Public Service Commission has
granted permission to the Western Union Telegraph company to close its office here. No date has been set as
yet for the closing, according to Mrs. Darrell Crawford, local manager. When the office is closed telegraph
service will be furnished at the Chicago and North Western Depot.
70 Years Ago (1942): Private Donald Weaver, has been advanced to the rank of private first class. Mr.
Weaver is located somewhere in Canada and is attached to the 341st Engineers. This group is building the
new Burma road which is to be a main thoroughfare from Canada to Alaska.
60 Years Ago (1952): Following the 4th of G I parade Friday morning, Miss Audre Wilson, Evansville’s “Lucky
Seventh” queen, was officially crowned at Leota park. The queen and her court, including the Misses Marlyn
Croft, Shirley Wolff, Tess Gibbs, and Shirley Pierce were awarded gifts provided by local business places.
50 Years Ago (1962): Former Forest Academy teachers attended the reunion recently at the school, Mrs.
Glenace Smelcer, Mrs. Lillian Slinde, Mrs. Alma Sumner, Mrs. Twist, Mrs. Ida Brunsell, Mrs. Esther Everson
Smith, Mrs. Jennie Olson Hagen, Mrs. Martha Norby and Miss Louise Raymond. Ed Jones of Evansville was
the oldest pupil represented at the Forest Academy reunion. He is believed to be the oldest pupil still living.
Mabel Robinson was the historian for the day.
40 Years Ago (1972): Gary Grossman has been named Head Basketball Coach at Evansville. Mr. Grossman,
a graduate of Stevens Point, has been on the school faculty for seven years and has served as Head Baseball
Coach and Asst. Basketball Coach for these seven years. He has also been Park Director for summer
activities in past years. Mr. Grossman is also a scout for the football team.
30 Years Ago (1982): Judd Spooner, area farmer, contributed his 24th pint of blood Wednesday, June 30, to
the Red Cross Bloodmobile in Evansville, which makes him a 6-gallon-giver.
20 Years Ago (1992): Circus Day in Evansville, sponsored by the Evansville Chamber of Commerce gave the
community the opportunity to recall its circus history. Among those present on the platform, who were
introduced was Walter Gollmar of Evansville. Walter’s father was one of the Gollmar Brothers, who operated
the Wisconsin-based circus. Evansville’s first Circus Day tied in with the annual Circus Train from Baraboo
stopping in Evansville, proved to be a fun event. The train made a special stop at the Evansville Park and N.
Madison Street tracks. Chris Eager, Chamber of Commerce member who chaired the special event, greeted
the dignitaries as they stepped off the Circus Train. The train was on its way to Milwaukee for the great Circus
10 years ago (2002): Steve Hagen and Union Mutual Insurance set the pace for the Friends of the Library
Auction on Friday, June 28th. Hagen, on behalf of Union Mutual Insurance spent $100 on Denise Arnold’s
Lemon Meringue Pie which was a great contribution from seller and buyer for the Friends of the Library Fund.
Third Week of July 1872-2002
140 Years Ago (1872): We intended to have published a condensed report of the school district meeting, but
having mislaid our memorandum for that purpose, we cannot do so at this time. Dr. Evans was re-elected
treasurer. A very satisfactory report of last year’s proceedings was presented. It was voted that 10 months
school be had, and nearly three thousand five hundred dollars was raised for school district purposes another
130 Years Ago (1882): A new channel has been dug for the creek below the lower bridge. It ought to be done
in a good many other places and see if it could not behave itself.
120 Years Ago (1892): Elmer Bullard, of Evansville, has sold 80,000 pounds of wool in Janesville. His
purchases have been 22,000 pounds at Evansville, 18,000 pounds at Oregon, 20,000 pounds at Clinton
Junction, 7,000 pounds at Brodhead. He has also purchased wool at Milton, Belleville, Porter, Edgerton, Beloit
and Janesville. Mr. Bullard thinks he has purchased at least three-fourths of the wool within a radius of thirty
miles. He has bought for V. R. Clawson, of Monroe, for the past three years with such an increasing trade
each year as undoubtedly now gives him the credit of being the largest purchaser of wool in the state.
110 Years Ago (1902): Mr. William Krause has purchased a fine new Advance Thresher outfit. It was the
center of attraction while being unloaded at the depot on Monday. It was purchased from H. Fellows & Son and
seems to be worthy of its name, in being in advance of all others in good work, as all the farmers say who have
threshed with this kind of a machine; we bespeak for the Krause brothers a good long profitable run this
100 Years Ago (1912): Our city park is beautifully located and ought to be put in such shape as to be of the
largest possible use to the city. It could be made into an ideal place for all recreation purposes, and the new
commission appointed by the mayor can render the city no greater service than by making of this park what it
ought to be. The Park Commission appointed by Mayor Charles J. Pearsall was confirmed by the Common
Council: George L. Pullen, H. A. Langemak, Fred A. Baker, Miss Marilla Andrews and Mrs. J. M. Evans.
90 Years Ago (1922): One of the Ware milk wagons, driven by Miss Margaret Gibbs was struck by an
automobile belonging to H. L. Wolf, of Rockford, Ill. Miss Gibbs was thrown against a portion of the car, as she
was thrown out and badly cut about the head, being rendered unconscious. Proper medical care was given
her and there will be no serious results.
80 Years Ago (1932): The body of Richard Hubert Crawford, seven-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Hubert
Crawford, 328 Lincoln street, was found at the bottom of Lake Leota near the south end of the south spillway
at 2:45 p.m. yesterday by Raymond McCoy, 16, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert McCoy, 319 Almeron street. The
child had run away from his home in the forenoon with a group of small children and in wandering to the park
had gone wading in the lake. Togged in overalls, he borrowed a swimming suit from M. L. Ellis, park
storekeeper, and went into the lake with the other children. His mother missed him and his father searched for
him from noon until the time the body was found. On visiting the beach the second time, he found Dudley
Slauson, life guard, and William Blakeley removing the body from the water.
70 Years Ago (1942): Lloyd Porter who has taught in the Cooksville school for the past twenty years has been
appointed acting superintendent of schools in Rock county to take the place of Supt. Donald Upson who has
been accepted by the United States Navy. Mr. Porter’s appointment will become effective when Supt. Upson
leaves Janesville late this summer or early fall and will continue until the latter returns to Janesville.
60 Years Ago (1952): Word has been received of the death of Pfc. Donald Davis Shaw 20, native of
Janesville, in Korea, July 4. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Forrest Shaw, Butternut, former Janesville
residents. Forrest Shaw is a former Evansville resident, having lived here as a child with his parents, Mr. and
Mrs. Keith Shaw, in the house on North Madison Street now owned and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Henry
50 Years Ago (1962): What is known to be the largest press brake in Southern Wisconsin was delivered to the
Pruden Products Co. in Evansville on Tuesday. This gigantic press, weighing 51,000 pounds required special
moving equipment out of Madison to unload and install. A section of wall and ceiling had to be removed to
move the machine into its factory location. The press brake, which will form metal up to 3/8 inch thick and up to
20 feet long, will be used by Pruden to form building purlins, columns and other special products. Purchased
in Chicago and delivered by truck, the giant press has a working capacity of 340 tons.
40 Years Ago (1972): Harry C. Inman, 73, died unexpectedly Sunday morning at his home here on Walker
Street. The son of Frederick H. and Bertha Damrow Inman was born March 18, 1899 in Janesville. In August,
1922, he married Christina Unger at Rockford, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Inman purchased the Standard Oil Filling
Station here on South Madison Street in 1933. They later built and operated the Inman Motel and also
operated the Blue Lakes Pine resort at Minoqua. He retired several years ago. Mr. Inman was a member of
the Lions Club. Survivors are his wife, two brothers; Oscar, Woodruff, and Leslie, Lake Delton and two sisters,
Mrs. George Spohn, Madison and Mrs. Steven Clapps, Milwaukee.
30 Years Ago (1982): School board members approved the high school and middle school handbook change
regarding use of tobacco. LaVern Hoffman, high school principal, told board members that the problem of
chewing tobacco is increasing in both the high school and middle school, with residual effects noted on the
floor and in the water fountains.
20 Years Ago (1992): Twenty-four Boy Scouts and leaders recently completed a two-week adventure in
wilderness camping at the Philmont Scout Range in Cimarron, New Mexico: Joel Loesch, Mark Alfrey, Chad
Wallisch, Matt Reese, Jon Inman, Andy Kress, Matthew Nardini, Troy Mattison, Pat McCoff, Brandon Whitmore,
Andy Markham, Pat Brabants, Eric Fenrick Lauren Bradley, Jeremy May, Luke Williams, Jeff Johnson and Jake
Peters. Leaders were Randy Peters, Ken Reese, Bob Johnson, Tom Williams, Greg Whitmore, and Phil Kress
10 years ago (2002): The Evansville Fund, a component of the Community Foundation of Southern Wisconsin
recently awarded a grant of $600 to AWARE, an agency of Community Action. The grant will assist the new
Evansville Ecumenical care closet expand the services of local churches. Volunteer board members of the
Evansville Fund are Thea Brunsell, Steve Ehle, Eloise Eager, Nancy Nelson, Millie Tait, Elaine Strassburg and
Dave Ross, chair.
Fourth Week of July 1872-2002
140 Years Ago (1872): Mr. Isaac M. Bennett and wife, who have been absent some weeks on a visit and tour
of observation, to Colorado, returned Sunday morning. His letters to the Review and Janesville Gazette, have
told us pretty nearly what he thinks of the country. He regards Denver as one of the greatest business
emporiums in the whole Rocky Mountain country.
130 Years Ago (1882): We have just completed an edition of 2,000 catalogues for the Seminary for the years
1882-3. The whole number of students named is 144, of whom 88 are gentlemen and 56 ladies. It shows a
prosperous and healthy condition of the school. The fall term opens September 5th.
120 Years Ago (1892): Messrs. Conover & Porter, architects of our new hall, made a bad mistake in drawing
plans for a building two or three thousand dollars above the appropriated cost. New plans are to be made, but
it will seriously delay work.
110 Years Ago (1902): Col. Geo. W. Hall will open his show in this city on Saturday, August 2nd. He has
purchased many choice animals, and has had some new cars built in which to travel; also several new wagons
and others repainted. He has a large outfit and one of the greatest canine and equine carnivals in the
country. Among his many exhibits will be seen the largest elephant in the world; Prof. Fred McCart and his
world famous troup of performing dogs and monkeys the highest salaried feature ever with a tent show;
performing animals; Mons Leon with his funny singing donkey, etc. Afternoon and evening performance.
100 Years Ago (1912): Mr. Quincy Ames and wife and little son left for New York City where they will sail on the
Kaiserine Auguste Victoria for Russia. For the last two years he has been general secretary of the Y.M.C.A. at
Akron, Ohio, where he has made an enviable record. He will be located in Moscow, where he will carry on Y.M.
C.A. work. He has spent considerable time in Manila and in China in the government service and in religious
work. His salary and expenses in Moscow are to be paid by James R. Stokes, a wealthy man of New York. Mr.
Ames is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Marion Ames of Brooklyn.
90 Years Ago (1922): At the request of the Pathe Film Co. last Sunday E. L. Bellman took his invention, the
combined watercycle and life saver, which he has named the Maricycle, to Indian Ford and put on a
demonstration of what the machine could do. The pictures taken on this occasion by Mr. C. C. Pritchard of the
Pathe Exchange will be used in the Pathe News Service which is shown at hundreds of theaters in this country.
The film will be headed “Evansville, Wisconsin,” in honor of the inventor and his home town and will be the
means of advertising the best little city in the state in an enviable manner.
80 Years Ago (1932): A 1929 Ford coach belonging to Mike Reilly, farmer residing seven miles northeast of
the city, was stolen here early Sunday morning while Mr. and Mrs. Reilly and their three children were attending
the 7:30 service in St. Paul’s Catholic church. The car was parked in front of the John Kennedy residence
adjacent to the church on North First street. Shortly after it had been parked there a young man dressed in a
brown suit is said to have driven the car away. No trace has been made of the car as yet although police have
been investigating. A blanket, hat and dress which were in the car at the time it was stolen were later found
near the Lee Milbrandt farm three miles south of the city.
70 Years Ago (1942): A service flag containing the following names has recently been placed in the rear of St.
Paul’s Catholic church here, Kenneth and Donald Montgomery, Francis Sullivan, Jack Kennedy, James
Finnane and Robert Dalton.
60 Years Ago (1952): In a well played game at Monroe Monday, the playground team of that city defeated
Evansville’s all star team 5-4. Ross Sperry and Ronnie Peckham were the hitting stars for Evansville. Those
on the all-star team are Dave Losey, Ross Sperry, Mick Finnane, Jim Knapp, Dean Allen, Ronnie Peckham,
Dick Curless, Dave Lovett and Larry Amidon. The substitutes are Leo Schumacher, Dick Hallmark, Harry
Becher, Bob Rasmussen, Bud Thompson, Dick Myers, Jerry Rowley, Dick Dille and Jack Fritscher.
50 Years Ago (1962): The citizens of Evansville School District No. 6 attended the annual school meeting and
heard Clark Prudhon, president of the Board of Education, explain why it is advisable to purchased the Hagen
property, of between five and six acres, adjoining the Third Street campus on the north ($10,200), the Christy
property, south of the “fairground” campus ($6,570), and to have an option of the 10-acre Grundahl plot which
adjoins the “fairground” campus on the southwest ($10,000). Prudhon said that it is the recommendation of
the state that a campus for a high school housing 600 pupils should have at least 40 acres. Evansville’s
present high school enrollment is approximately 400. The proposal was approved by the voters.
40 Years Ago (1972): The UW Stevens Point Summer Theatre production of “Charlie Brown” will be presented
July 26. Bill Meredith, of Evansville, will appear as Linus. This is the fourth play presented. Bill has been asst.
director and stage manager for the first play, “Dracula” and was head prop manager for the next two, “Lovers”
and “Blithe Spirit”.
30 Years Ago (1982): Kathleen Korthuis, Madison and Lois Waller and Darlene Hunter of Evansville, have
purchased the Petterson house at 44 W. Main where they will open an antique and gift shop on the first floor.
The second story will be turned into an apartment as it was before the Pettersons returned it to a one family
home. They plan to open sometime in September. Frank Reighand, a potter, will also be opening a craft shop
at 32 West Main. The shop will be enlarged to provide space for him to throw his pots and a kiln. The City
Council approved zoning changes to the two West Main properties; the property at 44 W. Main and 32 W. Main
street were changed from R2 to B2.
20 Years Ago (1992): A Victorian ice cream Social will be held on the lawn of the Masonic Temple this coming
Sunday, July 26. Proceeds from this event will help the Masons to raise funds to be used in restoring the
Masonic Temple. The Masonic Temple is the home of Dr. Evans, for whom the town is named. The building,
located at the corner of First and Main Streets, needs restoration, particularly the windows. The Temple is on
the National Register of Historic Places.
10 years ago (2002): There will be an organizational meeting for the Evansville Police Commission at the high
school library. Evansville Police commission members are Karla Alisankus, Tim Meredith, Scott Brummond,
Tom Cothard and Gary Albrecht.
Last Week of July 1872-2002
140 Years Ago (1872): Quite a little social gathering was held up to Rev. Elijah Robinson’s Friday afternoon,
to enjoy a bit of a collation, beneath the oaks that embower his residence, at the head of Main street, and give
a parting “good by” to Theodore, who was to leave on the eleven o’clock train, for Missouri, Kansas, Colorado,
or some where else, where the climate would be more favorable for asthmetical difficulties. We all part
regrettingly with Theodore, or our young artist, as we have been pleased to call him. His health is poor. At
times he is so pressed for breath as to make life almost unendurable. His more healthy hours have been
devoted to the photo-crayon business, and has executed some fine specimens of the art. The portraits of the
bank officers are of his workmanship and are a credit to his artistic taste and skill.
130 Years Ago (1882): Oscar Kusterman, one of the party who went to the lake Wednesday, came near
drowning while sporting with several of the boys out in mid-lake; he was seized with cramps that nearly
deprived him of the use of his limbs. The boys that were in the water with him kept him from going down until a
boat reached them from the party on shore. Mr. Kusterman is an excellent swimmer and was one of the men
who rendered such efficient aid in rescuing the women from the flood here, and has earned a warm spot in the
hearts of all the boys for his many noble qualities.
120 Years Ago (1892): The large pile of crockery near the warehouse is tiling bought by the town of Union for
culverts. As fast as the old wooden culverts break away and need repairing they are replaced with this
material, in ones, twos and threes as may be required to convey the water, and thus in time have good
serviceable water ways. The town of Union has inaugurated a good scheme for improving her roads.
110 Years Ago (1902): Architect William Meggett has a large force at work on the Marshall Fisher flats, corner
of Madison and Church streets. The occupants expect to eat Thanksgiving turkey in their new quarters.
100 Years Ago (1912): The short farce presented by the Political Equality League was much enjoyed by the
audience and was calculated to prove that it would not only be more agreeable but also cheaper in the long
run for man to allow woman to vote than to support all his female relations himself. Fola La Follette’s lecture
given after the play was heard with much interest by an appreciative audience. Miss La Follette is a forcible
and convincing speaker and is thoroughly informed on the equal suffrage question. She has its most telling
points at her tongue’s end, and her lecture was instructive and also illustrative of many points in favor of equal
suffrage that do not present themselves to the average person.
90 Years Ago (1922): Saturday, July 24, a Ford touring car belonging to Henry Blum, of this city, was stolen
from the street at about ten o’clock in the evening. The car was recovered last Thursday about a mile west of
Beloit, where it had been abandoned by the thief. As soon as the Blum car was reported stolen, Fred Gillman
suspicioned a Beloit man who was hanging around town, with apparently no objective in view, simply loafing in
his car with another Beloit man. However the car could not be found in his possession. Chief Gillman had no
other evidence and worked a bluff by stating that they had the goods on him, but all they wanted was the car
and that if it was found abandoned close to Beloit the next day, that nothing would be done against him. The
bluff worked and the car was returned to its owner. A good bluff well worked sometimes is as good as evidence.
80 Years Ago (1932): A 1930 Ford town sedan owned by Harley A. Smith, Grove street, was stolen from its
parking place in front of his residence at 9 p.m. Sunday by two men who later were identified as the robbers of
a filing station at Ridgeway. This was the second car theft here within a week, the former occurring Sunday,
July 24, when a 1929 Ford coach belonging to Mike Reilly was stolen while the family was attending services in
St. Paul’s Catholic church. Although nothing has been heard from the Reilly car, the Smith sedan was found at
2 a.m. Tuesday in North Hampton, Ia.
70 Years Ago (1942): Milo Hatlevig, son of Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph Hatlevig, arrived here the latter part of last
week for a seven days furlough with his parents. On last December 7, he was in the vicinity of Pearl Harbor
when the bombing took place and since that time he has been on a destroyer in the Pacific. His brother,
Ronald Hatlevig, who has been with him on the boat during the past year, was slightly injured during the battle
of Midway. His brother Stanley, a seaman, enlisted December 17, 1941 and now is with the Navy somewhere
in the Atlantic ocean.
60 Years Ago (1952): Within a short time the front of the Brown drug store on West Main St. will present an
entirely different appearance than it has the past 40 years. Mr. Brown states that an entire new front is being
installed with the entrance at the side. The new improvement will provide a very large show window where
merchandise may be attractively displayed. The improvement program planned will include inside work as well
as the new front. [Note: Brown’s drug store was located at 7 West Main Street.]
50 Years Ago (1962): The Cooksville citizens won their case on the disposition of their school at the annual
meeting of the Stoughton School District. Civic minded Cooksville people have been seeking to buy the school
which has become vacant through the recent consolidation with the Stoughton School system. The Cooksville
citizenry wished to purchase the school for use as a community building. Mrs. John Elliott carried the ball for
the Cooksville group, acting as their spokesman. In a close vote the electors chose to allow the group to
purchase the Cooksville school at a price to be established through formal appraisal.
40 Years Ago (1972): “The Impossible Dream” was Maureen Abey’s first thought after she was crowned Rock
County 4-H queen Tuesday. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Abey, Sr. A 9-year member of the
Evansville 4-H Club, Maureen has taken part in many projects. She has held several club offices and been
active in Rock County Junior Council. Maureen was active in school activities, her church youth group and F.H.
A. Maureen is employed at the Baker Manufacturing Company in Evansville, as a computer trainee and is
enrolled in Weaver Airline Personnel Training School in Kansas City, Missouri.
30 Years Ago (1982): The Eager Free Public Library Board report indicates that the glass doors have been
installed for the fireplace in the library. They were given in memory of Marjorie Staffeld, librarian from 1966 to
1978 and a plate will be added indicating the same.
20 Years Ago (1992): It didn’t take long last Friday to level the home on West Church Street, next to the
Evansville Dean Clinic. All that was left was a bunch of bricks and rubble. The house formerly belonged to
Louise Reese. [Note: This house was located on the land that is a parking lot, west of the current offices for
the Evansville EMS.]
10 years ago (2002): Arsenic and Old Lace will be performed at the J. C. McKenna middle School Auditorium.
The Evansville Community Theater-Stagelights is performing this comedy, that offers a blend of wit, humor,
romance and twisted sense of reality.